Wednesday, October 10, 2007

"The Ones Who Walked Away From Omelas"

The piece, in my opinion was very odd; it wasn't the worst image that I have received from a book or any reading for that matter. Although it was somewhat disturbing when people would lock up one person make him miserable so that they can all be happy. After I read a little bit more I came to relies the people weren't all psychopaths when people came to see this boy in what I envision to be closet of some kind. Some of the people would go see him and they would cry and become curious, and sometimes they would even leave the town or not come out of their own home for multiple days. In the end it made me think about our society and the way things are and now I think it may have done me some good.

In terms of 1984 it's almost like when people get taken away by the thought police. Everyone knows where they go and what happens to them. The only things they don't know are the details of what goes on in the ministry of truth. They would like to do something about it but they can't because they know that they will succumb to the same fate as the person before them. Winston would have to be one of the people that came to visit the little boy and then go home to cry for a couple of days. I think this would be his character because in "1984" he wants to leave and be without what he has seen and known about for his entire life.

Why were the people so selfish as to keep a boy locked up in a closet for their own good? Where would Winston fit in, in this story? What are the differences between the two? Why would some of the people leave their own happy lives and leave town because of the boy? Why would people go back, time after time to see this young boy?

No comments: